'TD Water Pump - Help Needed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 'TD Water Pump - Help Needed
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:36:50 -0300
Listers,

        I was helping my friend replace water pump on his '53 TD. We got
everything/old pump off OK.  We carefully started reassembly with a new
pump. We got the pulley on the pump, and the pump assembly back in place and
started to tighten the nuts and bolts.  There are two studs and two bolts
that hold the pump in place.  Three went on with no problem.  The forth one,
a stud with a nut, located at the upper left position on the pump is giving
us a real problem.

        The nut and washer appeared to go on the stud ok. We started the nut
on by hand to avoid cross threading.  The nut was tightening up normally
when it seemed start to spin easier.  Continued turning made no progress,
nor could we/can we  now back it off.  So now we have this nut spinning
stuck on this stud with no way to remove it.   Can't tighten it, can't
loosen it.  Can't get anything in between the pump body and the nut to force
it out.

        Has anyone seen this before ?  Any ideas on how to get the nut off
so we can finish this project ?   Is the stud stripped ? I don't think that
there is enough thread showing to do the dual nut stud removal technique.
Do we need to cut off the nut ?

        Thanks for any/all help,

                Gene Balinski
                ' 80 B