Re: getting them coil springs back in there (79B)

To: Michael Jose <mwjose@cox.net>
Subject: Re: getting them coil springs back in there (79B)
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:20:25 -0500
    You just have to apply your force in the right place.  If you have 3
bolts in on one side, move the jack and use a small block so that the
force is applied, to the spring pan only, below the empty hole, then use
a screwdriver or punch to align the holes for the bolt.  On the side
with two in, I don't know which two but here's a tip:

  I went through this exercise quite a few times when I was trying
different springs & shims to adjust my B's ride height.  I discovered
that the A-arms are not installed with the short side of the A parallel
to the bottom of the car.  The front of the A-arm is higher than the
rear.  That's where they got the caster angle.  So I had all four
corners on jack stands with the rear of the car higher than the front.
This leveled the A-arms front-to-rear in relation to the floor, so my
floor jack met the A-arms squarely.  This way the holes in the spring
pan and A-arms lined up pretty well when I raised the jack.  As it
happens, the lifting heads on my floor jacks are just about the right
size to fit into the spring pans.  You want to lift the pans but not the
wishbones.

  Cheers,

   CR