Re: Front springs too short

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: Front springs too short
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:37:39 -0400
Bob,
   Look in the workshop manual for pictures of MGBs.  When I replaced
rear springs in my GT, it was then quite high at the back.  A spring shop
pointed out the me that the front springs age too.  New coil springs
brought it up a lot.  Lawrie suggested looking at the pics in the manual,
which I did, and then found that the GT now appeared as the
illustrations. I was surprised how high the cars were when new. We think
of the rear springs sagging and the fronts staying as made, but that's
not necessarily true.
   Your mechanic says the crop of springs is weak....an alternative is to
go to a spring shop and to get their advice.  Seems to me that those JC
Whitney spring wedges are a way to concentrate spring stress at points in
the spring, and that they would soon lead to breakage.
Bob