Pertronix questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pertronix questions
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:49:36 -0400
   This weekend I installed a Pertronix in the 25D distributor of my
72MGB-GT.  It was easy to do, but now I understand why there are so many
questions about installation from listers--the instructions are quite
clear and informative, and leave out only one significant piece of
information.
   But to my questions---1) since installation, with timing set per the
manual, 16 degrees BTDC @ 1500 rpm, the engine won't idle. It just
stalls.    It runs OK, given enough throttle, but why should it now not
want to run at the idle setting at which it was quite happy before?
   2)  now the tach needle swings, about 200 rpm +/- at 2500 rpm, 300 rpm
+/- at 3000 rpm.
Bob