Re: questions about handling (Re: Wire Wheels ...)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions about handling (Re: Wire Wheels ...)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:11:13 -0800
Not to mock your legitimate questions, but the simple answer would be to get
a chrome bumper MGB. As you suspect, the increased ride height of the RBB is
the major detriment to handling.

Until you do something about that sub-optimal situation, nothing else is
going to make much difference. On the already jacked-up-looking RBB,
60-series tires on 14" wheels would merely achieve a "roller skate" look
without any appreciable improvement in handling "feel". Ultimate grip could
certainly be improved by using super-sticky low-profile rubber -- however,
this approach may not be satisfactory (or even safe).

On the other hand, I believe lowering a RBB is not exactly a trivial
operation. Others will know more about the steps required.

That said, I would not recommend removing the rear anti-roll bar in pursuit
of oversteer. In fact, I dispute the implication that oversteer is the
natural state of MGBs. For example, a CBB, equipped with only a front
anti-roll bar, using the recommended tire pressures, will exhibit nearly
neutral handling. Oversteer would be a result of underinflating the rear
tires (or overinflating the front tires. At any rate, the combination of
high CG, poor roll control, sticky rubber, and oversteer does not strike me
as advantageous -- quite the opposite...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149