Re: Starter stopped

To: <cl4rk2@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter stopped
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:02:28 -0000
Look at the ignition warning light as you turn the key to 'start'.  If it
goes out either the battery is bad or there is a bad connection in the heavy
current circuit between the battery and the starter.  If it dims a bit it
looks like it is trying to energise the solenoid but the solenoid isn't
energising the starter.  If it doesn't dim at all, a 69 was on the cusp of
not having/having a starter relay, if it has one it will be just aft of the
fusebox.  If you *do* have one, and there is no 'click' as you turn the key,
check the ignition switch - red/white - relay winding - black - ground
circuit.  If you have one and it clicks but the solenoid doesn't 'clonk'
check the brown - relay contacts - brown/white - solenoid circuit.  If no
relay and no solenoid 'clonk' check the ignition switch - white/red -
solenoid circuit.  If the solenoid clonks then the problem is in the
solenoid/motor assembly.