RE: welders

To: "'Jim Stuart'" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: welders
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:18:22 -0700
I bought a Miller at the local welding shop.  My experience has been
much like Jims.  When you buy a welder at my welding supply store they
give you 'lessons'.  We're not talking a long course, but as many
Saturdays as you want to give up.  I think the have 'rookie' lessons
once a month.

As I recall mine is a Miller 130.  It runs on 110v and uses gas or flux
wire.  I was going to get the 220v model but chose the 110v for the
'portability' it provides.  I can plug it in just about anywhere.  I was
concerned if it would be big enough, I've owned it for 3 years, and it
has handled anything I can throw at it.

The Miller was a little cheaper than the Lincoln (my welding shop sells
both) but I feel it is as good or better than the Lincoln.

The Hobart is cheaper than both.  But don't let price fool you.  It is a
great welder.  I'm thinking after Miller bought Hobart they moved it to
a different market than the Miller welders.  Why would you compete with
yourself?  You'll find the Hobart in many retail outlets (including
Harbor Freight).  It's my understanding it is still the high quality
welder it always has been, just marketed differently.

One more thing, the Lincoln you see at the home improvement store is not
a professional model.  It is produced to be sold at retail outlets.
That does not make it a bad machine.  But don't compare it to the
cheapest Lincoln at the welding shop ... No comparison.

Larry Hoy