Re: rich su's

To: "WESLEY SMITH" <wes-smith@msn.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rich su's
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:10:42 -0700
We just had a discussion on the do it yourself reamer and rebushing.  I had
mine rebushed and throttle shafts installed by a professional. And then I
rebuilt the rest of the carbs myself. Lawrie (on this list) quoted me on
rebushing the set on my 67BGT and the price was similar to that price you
mentioned from Apple. I just haven't got around to it yet.

But I would think that the leakage on the throttle shafts would cause a
lean mixture rather than black plugs. Its possible even with the correct
jet settings (usually 12 flats - my "winter" settings are usually around
14) that the jets can be sitting too far down causing a richer mixture -
they should be flush with the nut you mentioned ("flats") - also if you
turn the nuts totally clockwise at 0 flats, the top of the jet should be
flush with the carb base when looking down with the piston removed.

SU carbs are easy to rebuild except perhaps the bushing/throttle shafts and
its something I would recommend if you have some mechanical abilities.
Manuals as well as a video tape are available from Moss and other sources
to help guide you on your first rebuild.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B