Re: Dyno tuning a blown MGB - question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dyno tuning a blown MGB - question
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:48:43 -0800
I've got a question about the data. I was wondering why I had so much
more gain in torque (85%) than in power (45%) and looked up the
formula for converting torque to hp:

hp = torque * rpm / 5252

That gives me wildly different power values than they listed:

> CO %  RPM     lb-ft   hp      calculated
>  6.0  1678    20.5     4.3
>  5.8  2225    145.8    36.9
>  8.7  2549    156.1    48.3
>  5.8  2765    159.5    53.6   ~ 75
>  2.9  2928    161.8    57.4
>  3.7  3515    166.1    70.7
>  4.8  3792    168.1    77.2
>  5.4  4000    168.3    81.5   ~ 100
>  7.4  4652    167.8    94.7
>  7.8  4957    164.3    99.0
>  7.9  5125    164.6   102.7   ~ 160
>  7.9  5464    156.5   104.4

I suspect that I misread the output from the dyno. It was listed as
load rather than torque, but was measured in ft-lb. In my defense,
Randy was talking as if that column was engine torque. But if that
value were higher than engine torque, why was the car still
accelerating the rollers? Because of the 4:1 torque multiplier in the
diff?

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.