Re: Old Tire Q

To: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Old Tire Q
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:32:05 -0500
Absolutely no way.  Even if there's no major tread loss, you'll probably
notice spiderweb cracks.  After 12 years, the rubber is very dry and
weak.  Unless it's been off the car submerged in some preservative compound
or something, it's going to be dangerous.  Five years, maybe, but at 12
years I wouldn't even consider keeping them.

Tires are the only thing connecting you to the road, and once I eventually
realized this, I made a point to always have great tires.  The difference
between an average tire and a good tire might only be $20/each, and if it
keeps you from flying off the road, it's well worth it.  At 12 years, I
can't imagine your tires even qualify for average.  I'd get them changed
immediately and not do any kind of demanding driving until I did.

- Tab

'78 B (with Goodyear AquaTread IIIs)
'83 Ford Ranger (with crappy tires, but I only drive it to the dump)
'96 Saab 900S Convertible (currently with Goodyear Ice Grip snow tires)