Re: setting up air compressor - Off topic

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: setting up air compressor - Off topic
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:06:38 -0600
At 09:35 AM 1/6/03 -0600, Paul Root wrote:
>1) It came with a quart of 30wt oil which I used. .... I want to put more
>in..... didn't find any .... I did find some Quaker State 30wt in the
>automotive ailse, but it has detergent additives, and the manual says to
>use non-detergent.
>
>Can I use it, or if not, where do I find non-detergent oil?

The one feature that is significantly different between detergent and non
detergent is, .... yeah, the detergent.  This is used in engine oil to keep
"stuff" in suspension until it can curculate through the oil system long
enough to get trapped in the oil filter.  It may (maybe) also have some
value in keeping mechanical parts clean by helping to disolve deposits off
of the parts.  However, I have seen lots of gearboxes that run
non-detergent oil for years without an oil change and still be very clean
inside, so I think the crap on the parts inside an engine has more to do
with combustion and heat.

The compressor probably does not have an oil pump and is splash lubricated,
and certainly does not have an oil filter.  So if you use non-detergent oil
the "stuff" in the oil is more likely to settle out in the bottom of the
oil pan, which is maybe a good way to get it out of the oil.  This means
that about every 10 years or so you might want to take the bottom off of
the compressor and clean the sump out with a putty knife. m Or maybe this
particular maintenance interval could coincide with a general overhaul of
the compressor about the time the piston rings wear out.

I believe that 2-cycle oil which is intended to be mixed with gasoline is
non-detergent type.  And I think the hydraulic oil will also be
non-detergent type (non-foaming), so you might use hydraulic jack oil if
you only need a little.

>2) .... figured I'd put the female quick disconnect on the tank with the
>male on the end of the hose and female that the other end. Then males on
>all the tools. Is that ok? ....

Yup, that's the way to go.

>3) Any worry about leaks? I have a roll of plumbers teflon tape.  Should I
>use it, is it overkill, or will it do no good?

Yup, use the teflon tape.  Works great.  Wrap it 1-1/2 turns snug on the
male thread and pull to break it off.  Do not get the tape beyond the last
thread, or it can shed off into the air line and cause problems downstream.

>4) It should be ok to leave it pressurized all the time in the garage,
>right? Leave it on or turn it off?

As long as it's all pressure tight you can leave it on all the time with
the pressure up.  If it leaks enough to hear it in a quiet room the
compressor will run periodically when you don't want it to.  You might want
to turn the pressure regulator down to very low pressure after each
use.  If it sets forever at a high pressure the spring inside the regulator
might take a permanent set (but probably no harm either way).  The gauges
are okay at high pressure indefinitely.

As a long term safety matter you should probably unplug the hose at the
source end when not in use, or turn the regulator down low.  Not a good
idea to leave a hose setting forever under high pressure.  And if it should
split one day when you're not around the compressor would run continuously
and run a jolly big electric bill.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude