Re: Cross Country MGB update.

To: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Subject: Re: Cross Country MGB update.
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:40:01 -0600
<<<snip>>>
San Diego back to Kansas
<<<Snip>>>
>From Aberdeen, SD to Santa Clara, CA in 36 hours.  My
brother and I drove a 1968 Datsun pickup with a ten gallon
fuel tank.  The trip was made the day after returning from
Green Bay, WI to SD.  We went to retrieve 2000 lbs of twin
cam parts.  Used snow for ballast on the way out as the
truck had 1000 KG springs in back.  Before returning, we
toured SF, and spent Jan. 1 at Harrah's cars in Reno, and
were back home 6 days after we left SD.  The only problem
was water in the fuel.  Never happened again.  The last time
it died we were out in the boonies of western SD on a flat
stretch at 1 AM.  Meanwhile the NEW battery had packed it
it.  By the time we got the water out of the sediment bowl,
the truck was so stiff we couldn't manually push start it.
Two vehicles with single person's wouldn't stop but a high
schooler with his girl friend in a pickup gave us the shove
we needed after 1 hour freezing at -20dF.

Aberdeen, SD to Salt Lake City in 18 hours driving a pickup
pulling a 8 by 16 trailer.

Aberdeen, SD to Encampment, Wy. in 13 hours with a 240Z.
That was about the quickest drive I've made.  Very little
interstate roads and back in the double nickel days.

NEMGTR marathons:  1000 miles in under 16 hours: three times
in a TD with a 4.875 rear axle.  I would have to look up the
exact hours.

Blake