Re: ?High and Mighty?: On or Off-Track?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ?High and Mighty?: On or Off-Track?
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:58:25 -0800 (PST)
Chuck Renner SEZ -

> It amazes me how much the press is fawning over Bradsher.  Oh...that's
> right, he's one of them.  Bradsher brings it all together for his readers,
> blending the environmentalist's hatred of SUVs because of fuel consumption,
> and the class warfare aspect.
(Deletions...)

This SUV hatred is truly bizarre.  Just because a guy writes
about cars for the New York Times doesn't mean he knows anything
about cars.  Most of these "lay press" types cover the poltics,
style trends, industry personalities, competitive horserace,
etc., aspects of the auto industry and usually can't drive any
better than the typical stock broker or dentist.  Think about
this: The New York Times?  Like New York is a city of drivers?
Everybody there walks, takes cabs or rides the subway.  What
auto-enthusiast audience is the NY Times writing for?  Answer:
None.  Bradsher's book (and I've heard so much about it by now
I probably don't need to read it) seems to be a political treatise
dressed up as an engineering evaluation.  I'd imagine he knows
as much about automotive engineering as the editors of "Architectural
Digest" know about cantilevered truss systems versus prestressed
concrete beams.  This is hack journalism.

--
David Breneman                   | "Before there were CDs there were
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |  records, and before there were