Re: Bolt Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolt Question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:14:37 -0800 (PST)
Eric J Russell SEZ -
> Be wary about using hardware store bolts. Many of the fasteners used
> in an automobile are 'critical components'. Most hardware store bolts
> are ungraded, even some graded bolts may not actually meet 'the
> grade'.

Rather than go down to the local hardware store, look for a company
that specializes in "threaded fasteners".  Most will guarantee their
bolts to meet the industry specs for hardness, etc.  I'd go Barney
one better and use Grade-8 bolts for an application like this.
Since these are used in building bridges, antenna towers, etc.,
you definitely will *not* find them down at the local Mon-N'-Pop
hardware store.  There have been problems with counterfiet Grade-8s
in the past, so any reputable vendor will only sell ones made in
the US or Canada, or that have been certified by their manifacturer.
A Grade-8 should have 6 radial hash marks and the manufacturer's
trademark on the head.  Otherwise don't buy them.  If you can't
find these locally, call Tacoma Screw Products.  800-562-8192.
I don't have any current connection with them, but I'm a former
employee and I know that they only buy from certified sources.
If they're good enough for a Trident submarine, they should be
good enough for an MG...  just barely.  :-)

--
David Breneman                   | "Before there were CDs there were
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |  records, and before there were