Re: Good News/Bad News: blowing headgaskets

To: MGs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News: blowing headgaskets
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:54:25 -0600
Larry:

<<<snip>>>
He's never seen the problem with MGBs, but he's never seen a
supercharged MG before.
<<<snip>>>
That may be the problem.

I had thought with MGs and other older cars, that blowers
weren't to be fitted to a freshly rebuilt engine.  They were
usually 'run in' with carbs before the blower was fitted.
This allows the gasket to seat, a few hot and cold cycles to
settle the expansion rates and a few retorques of the
cylender head studs.  It also allows carbon to build up
between the gasket and the head or block to complete the
sealing process.  Only after getting the engine run in was
the blower fitted.

Another option is to 'lap' the head to the block.  You have
to do this before the engine is assembled.  MG did this to
many of their race engines and then ran them gasketless.  I
did that to my TD engine and used a thinner solid soft
copper gasket.

BTW, you can substitute bolts for the studs if the block is
properly prepared.  I did that with my TD.

Blake