RE: Good News/Bad News: blowing headgaskets

To: <MGs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Good News/Bad News: blowing headgaskets
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:17:13 -0700
> I haven't had the torque wrench calibrated in a while, but it
> is a snap-on, so it's fairly reputable.

Reputable isn't the key.  Calibration is a maintenance item on the click
style torque wrench, any of them.  Call Snap On for info.

> If the problem is static/dynamic friction though, I wouldn't expect
> beam or
> click to make a difference.

You're right ... If is a problem of overcoming friction.  But if it
isn't?

The beam type torque wrench is cheap, much cheaper than recalibrating a
click type.  And they don't change values.  Every wonder why you can get
a lifetime guarantee on the beam type from Sears or Snap on but not on
the click type....

>How would I tell a quality beam torque wrench from a schlock one?

There is no difference, the schlock one cost less but does the same job.
You decide which one to buy.

Larry Hoy