Re: Battery water

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery water
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:10:41 +0100
Hi Barney,

I'd like to give it a go:

The battery is constructed out of two sets of sandwiched plates.
One group is made out of led and and the other is made of a led based alloy.

As di-electric medium is normally used a mixture of H2SO4 (Chemical formula
for Sulfur Acid if I say the English word right) mixed with pure H2O =
water.

Now charging and decharging with this pure mixture goes with best
efficiency.

The water part vapourises in time and it needs refill now and then with pure
H2O in order to remain the battery working as new. The paltes always should
be kept under the liquid level, otherwise the dry parts will loose their
ability to work correctly even after refilling. The dry part gets an oxide
layer, which obstructs normal working order.
This will lead to a situation, that the battery cannot hold the nominal
charge anymore as specified by the manufacturer.

If however no pure water (distilled or demineralised water) is used, but
water from the tap or typical mineral water as the commonly used drinking
bottles contain (mostly) dissolved materials (minerals), the liquid mixture
between the sandwiched plates  get contaminated with wrong materials.
For drinking the tap water is most times o.k. and so is of course the water
from bottles.

But think what these "mineral" materials are like:
near the coast line: often lime particals derived from the sea. These
materials pollute the narrow space between the plates, perhaps even creating
a kind of short or block current - both are wrong.

Other minerals often have metal origin - you can imagine what will cause
this:
the battery will become electrical "leaky" - i.e. it will show that the
electrical charge will fade away easily and you'll experience a flat abttery
at times you don't expect, because you did not have this happening in the
past. So you start blaming the battery, but in fact you should blame
yourselves.

I hope this kind of chemistry lesson from a Dutch guy helps.

Cheers,

Hans

doing electrical works of his '71 BGT again after a great weekend drive