Re: repair,rebuild,restore,64B?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: repair,rebuild,restore,64B?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:40:54 EST
In a message dated 2003-02-25 9:04:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

<< I removed engine and transmission from 64B, bought last fall, to rebuild
 transmission.  Engine runs well compression good. No other history on engine.
 I have heard the 3 main bearing engines don't last as long. No real reason to
 remove the head.  Seems it might be simple to remove the pan and caps and
 check and replace bearings and cheap.   >>

I actually prefer the 3 main as it produces a tad more power and revs a bit
easier. I have one in my 62 MGA Deluxe coupe and use another one in my TVR
race car.

I'd pull the pan and clean it up, and remove the centre main cap to see how
the main bearings are doing - problems usually show there before they will at
the end mains. If it is OK, zip it up again.

I helped a guy run a 7 hour enduro with a 3 main fairly highly tuned engine -
no bearing problems. I wouldn't worry about the engine being 'weaker'.

Bill