Re: repair,rebuild,restore,64B?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: repair,rebuild,restore,64B?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:05:44 -0800
My understanding is that the change from 3 to 5 main bearings was for
reasons of crank stiffness under extreme loads, not for longevity, so I
wouldn't worry about that in particular.

That said, the bearings are a potential point of failure; and when I bought
a used engine in unverifiable condition, I had the pan removed and the
bearings replaced. This is relatively simple with the engine out of the car,
and not at all expensive. As it turned out, the crank and bearings were in
very good condition, but I still think it was a worthwhile precaution.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149