Re: Coolant was Battery Water

To: Chris <slimyrat@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant was Battery Water
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:24:19 -0600
Chris:

<<<snip>>>
So I guess my question is can one run an engine with pure ethylene
glycol in
the cooling system and if not why not?
<<<snip>>>
Sure, if you want the engine to run so hot that it cracks everything.
But the coolant probabably won't boil!

<<<snip>>>
Would this help with scale and corrosion?
<<<Snip>>>
No. The additives in a 50% solution get used up in about 2 years.  Using
pure antifreeze doesn't INCREASE the protection, it just extends the
life of the protection.  Pure anitfreeze's heat carrying capacity is
only 50% of water so it increases the running temperature of the heads.
Think of the additives as gasoline in a tank.  The get used up and after
they do, the anti rust quits working and the corrosion starts.  Also the
additives get used up at different rates depending on other conditions,
just like gasoline gets used up at different rates dependong on driving
habits.

Goto http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm and
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm and read.

Blake