RE: insurance rant and question... sorry!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: insurance rant and question... sorry!
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:29:47 -0600
> I think my ranting is over. Now, my question is will your regular
> insurance company provide enough coverage so that you're comfortable
> driving your British car on a regular basis? I've only got liability
> right now, but I'm about to switch to Nationwide, the same

It varies greatly by company.  State Farm, for example, will write you an
'agreed value' policy.  You'll have to provide some documentation to
demonstrate that the car is actually worth more than book value, so save
those receipts for major repair work, pictures of restoration, etc.  And of
course you'll be paying the rates for a car of that value, all blended
together with their risk rating and repair cost rating for that vehicle.

And since you won't have the same use restrictions that Grundy and other
specialty companies have, you'll be paying much more than their rates.

As another sub-30 year old, with 4 cars in a two-driver family, I face the
same frustrations.  While the carrier does give you a discount for multiple
cars, it's not all that significant.  And while two of the cars see fairly
restricted use, I do want to be able to drive them any time for any reason,
so the specialty insurance isn't an option.