Re: Steering rack fluid

To: lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: Re: Steering rack fluid
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:08:24 -0500
Larry,
   Amount of oil is only 1/3 cup for the rack, not as much as one would
think.
   You can lift off the top plate, being careful of the shims, the
spring and the brass damper piece, then add the oil.  It's hard to do
though, since radiator is in the way of the wrench and there is a
tendency for dirt to fall into the hole.
   Simpler, since the quantity of oil is so small, is to use a plastic
syringe from the veterinarian (I suppose you could use your wife's turkey
baster too).   Loosen the clamp on the small end of the rubber gaiter,
poke in the tip of the syringe and squirt in the oil.  Having the oil at
room temp or warmer will make it flow easier.
Bob