Re: Steering rack fluid

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering rack fluid
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:50:37 -0700
Usually I pull the cover plate off and then pull out that round piece, then
its a matter of filling with gear oil. But I couldn't get the round piece
out on my 72B's rack so I did the messier method of shooting oil in through
the rubber boot.

The rack was one I purchased off Ebay because other rack leaked like a
sieve through the upper seal. But the rack I got was one of my worst buys
from Ebay - supposedly in excellent condition, it was dry and one boot was
split (but it was shiney and clean). After oiling, it was still really
tight but works really good now that I added a shim from my old rack. Just
like the Haynes manual said.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B