Off Topic - driving directions around NYC

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Off Topic - driving directions around NYC
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 21:35:37 -0500
Off Topic, off list answers undoubtedly the best.

My son will be driving south from MA and I'd like to give him some
detailed driving directions around New York City. The planned route
is: I-95 south through CT to I-287, over the Tappen Zee Bridge,
continue on I-287 to I-78 west in NJ.

I have driven the route a number of times but never bothered to make
note of details such as the exit numbers. Is I-287 off I-95 'south' or
'west'? (Odd numbers are supposed to be north-south routes.) I'd also
like to give him 'local knowledge' of which lanes to get in ahead of
time to avoid 'last minute' lane changes if/when the Interstate routes
split.

TIA if anyone can help,
Eric