74 B steering column question please

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 B steering column question please
From: BarrMark262@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:13:48 EST
Hi List: Just getting started on the reassembly of the car, but want to
remove the inner column from the steering assembly. Got the whole part out of
the car, so I am part way.
At the universal joint end, there is a knurled black "plastic" nut at the end
of the inner shaft with a spring behind it. I assume this must be removed
before the inner column can be removed for cleaning and replacement of
bushings.
I cannot see how this nut is removed as it just spins when turned. There
appears to be a nylon sleeve under the "nut", but I cannot figure out how to
remove it, if that is what should be done.
I lined up the guide pins for removal of the shaft, but the inner will only
move less than an inch.
Can someone guide me as to this removal?
The car has been at one time in a flood, and it is necessary to disassemble
and clean everything to have the finished product I want.

Thanks so much,
Dennis Barr