torque & tuning

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: torque & tuning
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:19:40 -0800
Hello listers,

Firstly.

I have been lurking for a long while & slowly learning as I go. I seem to have
found what I needed in books & the archives but  the above intrique me.

I want to re-torque the head, which I have learned is 50lbs. I also want to
replace the tappet cover gasket & the sump cover gasket but cannot find the
torques. I'm concerned for example because the valve cover has the 2 pressure
washers that should not be overtightened, thus allowing oil seepage. The same
for the sump cover gasket. When I did the motor overhaul, I over torqued them &
they are now incontinent.

Is there one list where I can look up all the torque settings, or should I just
go with nut/bolt size. Hayes sporadically lists torque settings but while doing
research, many MG owners refute some of their spec's.

Secondly.

I also just completed an overhaul of my ZS 175 & am in the process of adjusting
the valves, distributor, which has no vacuum advance ( broken) & finally the
timing.

What I have experienced, is that at 15 deg BTDC the motor almost feels like it
has asthma but when I advance it beyond TDC it feels strong, accelerates well &
has no run-on. I obviously can't leave it as is, as it will burn a hole in the
piston.

Here are the settings I have used thus far.
Point gap 15. Plugs 25. Valves per spec (just can't remember exactly but they
were spot on) & timing 15 deg BTDC @ 1500 rpm.

Could anyone help me get it right.
BTW it does use more gas & I understand why (no vac advance right?)

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Aubrey 75B (also due for a DIY paint job soon)