Re: torque & tuning

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: torque & tuning
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:48:33 -0800

Hello Bob,

Although I have marked the notched teeth already & understand the philosophy
of the timing light (strobe right?) I still am not too sure of the advanced
vs retarded set. Maybe my being an OF has retarded the mind a trifle.

> If you were using a crank on the engine, you would turn the crank
> clockwise to start the engine.

 I understand that part.

>Confirm that by looking at the way the fan blades are cupped so that they
pull the air through the >radiator.

I got that too

> To advance the spark, we will turn the distributor against the
> direction of the rotor's rotation.

When setting the dizzy point gap, the rotor turns in a clockwise direction.
Does  that mean that by rotating the dizzy in an anti-clockwise direction, I
am advancing the spark?

> That causes the spark to happen earlier in the piston movement.  To retard
the spark, we turn the
> distributor in the same direction as rotor is turning, which means that
> the spark will take place later in the piston movement.

So, if by turning the dizzy clockwise I'm retarding the spark, it then means
that I have a retarded setting, which by eye, looks to be 20 deg. The motor
runs far, far better at the retarded setting. Starts first kick w/o choke) &
doesn't run on.

Is that right? If that is the case, what other adjustments need to be done,
in order for the spark to be in the advanced range and give the performance
I know have. Also what are the consequences of running at such a high
retarded setting.

Getting closer.....................

As always thanks to you, Max & Monte for your patience & support.

Cheers
Aubrey