more brake questions

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more brake questions
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:49:09 -0600
I replaced all flexible hoses on the 67B today and got one rear wheel
rebraked and cleaned up. Since I'm a virgin brake man, I have a few
questions that may help me with the other side and the next time.
1. I had a heck of a time getting the upper nut off that holds the clutch
slave flex hose on. I had to make a wrench and bend it; it still was very
slow. Is there an easier way?
2. It took me an hour to get the pistons back into the brake cylinder after
I put new inner seals on, even after soaking everything with brake fluid as
the manuals suggested. Is there a trick to this? I did lightly sand out the
interior of the cylinders. Thanks again, Bob Van Kirk, for you timely answer
about the orientation of the inner seals this afternoon that allowed me to
get the cylinders back on.
3. Are the notorious E clips that hold on the brake cylinders supposed to be
bent or flat? Mine were slightly bowed at the top. Are all three burrs (2
side ones and an upper) on the E clips supposed to be locked into the groove
on the back of the cylinder. The upper one isn't on mine. I had very little
trouble getting this one back on; I used a round bar and a small hammer to
tap it into place.
4. The manual says that the rear nuts are to be torqued to 150 #; this
surely doen't mean the 4 nuts that hold the drum on (wire wheels) does it?
If not about what should they be torqued to?
5. When the emergency brake is employed, do the bottoms of both brake shoes
expand outwards, or just one?
6. I've ordered new emergency brake dust boots but they are BO'd. Do I have
to take the drum back off to get them on, or can they be put on from the
back of the wheel?

I think that is enough for one night:-).

Thanks,