Re: more brake questions

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more brake questions
From: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:45:14 -0600
Monte, I'll answer what I can, the rest will have to wait for others...

> 1. I had a heck of a time getting the upper nut off that holds the clutch
> slave flex hose on. I had to make a wrench and bend it; it still was very
> slow. Is there an easier way?

This is one of the most frustrating and annoying jobs I've ever encountered
on a MGB.  It's a bit easier if you use a flare wrench, but it still sucks.

> 2. It took me an hour to get the pistons back into the brake cylinder
after
> I put new inner seals on, even after soaking everything with brake fluid
as
> the manuals suggested. Is there a trick to this? I did lightly sand out
the
> interior of the cylinders. Thanks again, Bob Van Kirk, for you timely
answer
> about the orientation of the inner seals this afternoon that allowed me to
> get the cylinders back on.

Dunno.  While I like the idea of salvaging components whenever possible, the
cost of brand new cylinders was low enough that I figured it wasn't worth
the potential frustration.

> 3. Are the notorious E clips that hold on the brake cylinders supposed to
be
> bent or flat? Mine were slightly bowed at the top. Are all three burrs (2
> side ones and an upper) on the E clips supposed to be locked into the
groove
> on the back of the cylinder. The upper one isn't on mine. I had very
little

I believe there is a slight curve in the clip, but that all the tangs should
engage in the groove.

That's it for my knowledge tonight.