RE: Rubber Bumper B

To: "'Max Heim'" <mvheim@attbi.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rubber Bumper B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:03:28 -0800
Max:

I was interested to hear that someone was using structural adhesives to glue
new floors into his MGB.  Which made me think (I know, scary).  Why not glue
the seat belt mounting reinforcement plate into the wheel well of the early
car.

If you get a chance, take a look at a 73- MGB rear inner wheel well.  There
is a welded nut plate (about 3" diam) for the seat belt bolt (or on later
cars mounting plate bolt).  That area of the shell is very strong, and even
an unglued backing plate is unlikely to be ripped through.  Gluing the plate
to the sheet metal would reduce the possible tendency for the plate to cut
into the metal under load (though I think you would have been cut in half by
the belts first).

Just a thought.

Kelvin.