RE: Blew chunk off intake off!

To: "'MGMagnette@aol.com'" <MGMagnette@aol.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Blew chunk off intake off!
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:29:12 -0800
John:

        I would suggest some kind of mechanical fastening in addition to the
epoxy.  Best would be running a tap into the hole and screwing in a sealed
bolt.  A greased tap will keep chips from falling in, followed by a shop vac
to ensure you got them all.

        Epoxy on it's own, will work but isn't as permanent.

        Chances are, the car backfired first popping the cap off the
manifold (I've actually seen cases where the manifold end caps have been
blown out!).  With the plug missing, the car will be running lean which tend
to cause more backfires.

        Two possible causes for the original backfire, and subsequent ones.
1.  Incorrect valve adjustment.  A tight adjuster can cause the valve to
stay open.   2.  Burnt exhaust valve.  Combustion gases bypassing the valve
hit the incoming charge and ignite it.  This is pretty typical, and if your
engine is getting a bit long in the tooth the most likely problem.

good luck

Kelvin.