Blew chunk off intake off!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blew chunk off intake off!
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:56:41 EST
Car:  1972 MGB with emissions removed.  On the intake manifold, there was a
small take off for something emmissions related that the DPO capped with a
small rubber tube and a screw inserted in the end.  Ok, thats hokey, but it
lasted without fault for the 10 years I owned the car.  Until last night.
The car started to backfire violently, I popped the hood, and noticed that
this cap was gone.  My question is hypothetical though...  I'm about to go to
the hardware store to epoxy this hole shut.  If this doesn't cure the issue,
I am to assume pressure in the manifold blew that little rubber cap right
off.  What would cause this?  I just fear my problem isn't that this little
cap, a decade old, decided to give up the ghost randomly.  I fear that
something in this engine is gone wrong and created backpressure blowing the
piece off.  Your thoughts?

   John