Re: need a shot of ambition???

To: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: need a shot of ambition???
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:58:43 -0800
On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 03:19:30PM -0500, Zubrovka wrote:

> I was standing there looking at the interior and my wife walks in and
> says "Is that Emmy?"  (name we called the MG back when she was
> running in the early 80's) and I say "yep" and the wife says, "what a
> hunk of junk, why don't you find something that looks like a car"
> then she walked out.  I looked at the lil car and patted it on the
> trunk lid and whispered "she didn't mean it".  I mean the car
> actually looked worse after the name calling.
> I got to thinking, this is where a lot of people give up on their
> projects, when people who matter to them make hurtful remarks.
> So what do y'all do?
> It made me have more resolve to fix the car.
> I have very good memories of jauntily driving down country lanes in it.
> Anyhow, just wondering how y'all cope with the down side.
> John

When I was married, I started a massive restoration project on my
MGBGT. I got about to the point of everything being torn apart, though
I owned most of the new engine parts, when I found out that my wife
had managed to not only spend all of our money, but max out my credit
as well, putting a halt to the project. To make a long story short, I
still have the MG and just got back from a short test drive.

There are many things that can be done to rejuevenate your enthusiasm
that are less expensive than divorce, however. First of all, what is
the condition of the bodywork?  I got mine painted at Earl Scheib for
about $220. It's definitely a 20/20 paintjob, (looks fine from 20 feet
away as she drives by at 20 MPH), but it's a MAJOR improvement over
what she was.

Just getting the car running and going for a drive is another major
boost to ones enthusiasm.  About three years ago I finally decided
that I'd never be able to do all of the things I wanted to do in the
restoration, but it wouldn't be that hard/expensive to get the car
back on the road. As expected, getting her on the road took about four
times as much money and hours of work as expected, but I had a running
MG again.

Then again you could mention to your wife that the car does take a
fair amount of money and time but it's still less expensive and bother
than a mistress.

HTH,
  larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.