Re: battery issues

To: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: battery issues
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:45:38 -0400
   Your battery is probably toast. I believe that the sulphur smell
indicates a condition called a sulfated cell. This means that the there is a
build up of "stuff" (SO2 ?) in the bottom of the cell(s) and that the
battery is gone. I seem to recall that it is the result of the battery being
left in a low charged state for a long time.   The easy answer is to remove
it and bring it to an auto parts store (even Sears) and have it tested. If
it is bad, buy a new one and leave the old one there.

   However, you didn't mention if the battery was a regular add-water type
or a sealed type. If it is not sealed, then make sure that you check the
water level in all of the cells, top off with the water of choice* if need,
and then place it on a battery charger.  It may come back.  It may not.
However with the smell and the build up of material on the post, you are
probably  better off with a new battery.

Good luck,

  Gene Balinski

       80 B

*see multiple informative previous threads about distilled verses tap water
; - )

At 09:10 PM 3/26/03 -0500, Jason B Lonon wrote:
>It's been a while since I started the MGB, and today I tried. The engine
kicked over, but didn't fire. I expected this because it had been sitting a
while and was probably a bit dry on fuel. But, on the second try - nothing.
Just the click of the starter relay.
>    I pulled off the battery compartment lid to check them out, and the
positive lead was very corroded with white powder. I figured that was the
problem, so I took the lead off, scrubbed it down with sand paper, cleaned
it off, and then put it back on.
>     Now, when I put in the key, I hear a very soft hissing sound coming
from the battery. When I try to crank the engine, it gets louder, as if gas
is being pushed out of the battery. I can also smell sulfur (that rotten egg
smell.)