battery issues

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: battery issues
From: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:10:26 -0500
It's been a while since I started the MGB, and today I tried. The engine kicked
over, but didn't fire. I expected this because it had been sitting a while and
was probably a bit dry on fuel. But, on the second try - nothing. Just the
click of the starter relay.
    I pulled off the battery compartment lid to check them out, and the
positive lead was very corroded with white powder. I figured that was the
problem, so I took the lead off, scrubbed it down with sand paper, cleaned it
off, and then put it back on.
     Now, when I put in the key, I hear a very soft hissing sound coming from
the battery. When I try to crank the engine, it gets louder, as if gas is being
pushed out of the battery. I can also smell sulfur (that rotten egg smell.)
     Does this mean my battery is toast? Or does there exist another remedy?

Thanks!
---

-Jason Lonon