Re: Lockout Switch

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lockout Switch
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:43:35 -0800
This is part of the original equipment. The part screws into the top of the
transmission (not the OD unit) near the shifter. It is identical in
appearance to the backup light switch, and like the backup light switch, it
is triggered by the action of the shift rods. The exploded diagram of the OD
tranny in the Moss catalog should give you a notion of where it goes,
although in mine they seem to have reversed the labels (the backup switch
should be on the righthand side, and the OD lockout switch on the lefthand
side).

When the shift lever is in a position other than 4th gear (or 3rd and 4th
gear, depending on the model), the switch is open, cutting off power to the
OD, regardless of the position of the switch in the cockpit. This is what
saves the OD unit, if the driver forgets and shifts into reverse with the OD
engaged.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149