Re: Lockout Switch

To: wtsnyder@juno.com
Subject: Re: Lockout Switch
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:32:10 -0500
Bill,
  Unless someone has deliberately removed or jumped the lockout swiches,
they will be present on your OD.
   The type LH  ODs have lockout switches on the left side, adjacent to
your right knee, and on the right side, adjacent to passenger's left
knee, but they are well concealed inside the transmission tunnel.  By
removing the shift lever gaiter and shining a light beside the gearbox,
you might see the switch or wire or their shadows.
   A test for the 3/4 switch is to drive at 60 mph and read the tach.
Expect to see about 18 mph/1000 rpm in 4th and 22 mph/1000 rpm in OD.  If
tach shows 3300 you are not in OD and if it shows 2730 you are in OD. If
the switch isn't working but is in the off position, you won't get the OD
to engage. If it isn't working right but is in on position, you will get
into OD automatically, and you will feel the engine  'bump' at about 30
mph when 3 becomes 3 OD.
  Haynes may not show the lockouts separately. They will be in wiring
diagram, but probably show as points where the wires connect.  Here's
where Bentley's wiring diagrams are better; they are larger and they are
individualised to a particular model, whereas Haynes'  are more
inclusive, fitting several models into one diagram.
Bob