Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:06:43 US/Mountain
To be exact, antifreeze increases the boiling point of the mixture over
water alone.  It also lowers the freezing point of the mixture over water
alone.  The viscosity changes slightly.  Water alone, however is about the
best heat transfer media you will get - water mixed with antifreeze is
also pretty good, but plain water is better (assuming you aren't too hot
and you aren't freezing up).  Water alone will make things rust too
though, and the antifreeze usually helps that too.  Rust inhibits direct
contact of the heat transfer media, and thus lowers your heating
capabilities.

I think I just said what everyone else did, but with only a little more
detail.  They're right.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA
'67 MGB