Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:13:15 -0500
Barrie Robinson wrote:

> Somewhere I read of a test of Water Wetter - It said it did nothing to
> help.  My school chemistry is a bit vague but I would like someone to
> explain why it works - I sort of wonder if it is in the same class as the
> "magnetic fuel saver" thingy that "disperses" hydrocarbon clusters as
> advertised on the JC Whitney catalog (disperses? - yes, right!).  The only
> thing that I can think of is that it reduces the surface tension but such
> action would give only minute benefit!   And advertising means nothings
> either - just look at the STP stuff with endorsements all over the place -
> and it does nothing apparently.
>
> One thing I can remember is that anything dissolved in water will increase
> the boiling point of the water.  I believe this also applies to colloids
> but not sure if it is to the same degree

Actually STP is an effective VI improver. VI is Viscosity Index. STP can
turn 10W40 into 20W50 pretty easily.

I tried using less coolant and adding Water Wetter when my Cooper S was
running hot a few years ago and it did help marginally. Then I found that a
certain prominent West-coast Mini-parts supplier had sold me a defective
radiator: it had three of the downpipes with no welds or solder on the
joints and was micro-leaking when hot. Since the leaks were so small the
leaked fluid just evaporated and left no puddle, it took my cooling-system
pressure-tester to find the problem.

I returned the defective rad to the company at my own expense but was never
refunded the cost of the rad or the shipping. This convinced me they are
damned crooks. I bought a new rad at Brighton at the end of the L2B Mini
run and once back in the States and installed, it solved the problem.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Rickey Preston Band (w/Rocky): http://www.rickeyprestonband.com