Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:33:20 -0500
The late model B standard fans were two electric fans in front of the
radiator 'pushing' air through the radiator. Mine had been replaced
by a couple of layers of DPOs. One put a rocker switch on the dash
to turn it off or on. The next didn't like having to remember so he
just wired it to be on all the time. Leaving the wiring mess of the
switch in place.

The aftermarket fan is mounted behind the radiator and 'pulls' air
through the radiator. I think its a 12 inch fan, though I've never
messured it. It is going in the right direction, you can put your hand
behind it an feel the air come through.

Last year, or maybe the year before, I got a new thermo-switch. The
stock one that goes into the top of the radiator, and got it wired up
to the aftermarket fan and it worked fine last year. My guess is that
the water/anti-freeze level in the radiator is down a bit, so the switch
isn't in the liquid, so it doesn't click on.  But since there is no
radiator cap on the radiator (stupid!) it's hard to check. I didn't get
around to it last night.

Driving in this morning (my ears are still ringing, it was a bit nippy
at 49F :-) The car didn't even get a quarter way up the gauge. Last
night (4 o'clock) it ran at normal temperature.

So I don't see anything serious here. Get the wrench out when the system
is cool and add some mix. I was thinking of getting some "Redline Water
Wetter", but my armchair diagnosis tells me that might be overkill.

You might want to think of some Water Wetter, or running a weaker mix of
anti-freeze. As we've discussed before on this list, anti-freeze
actually lowers the boiling point of water. It's the rust inhibitors you
want most.

Opps, I'm getting a bit long winded here.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155