Re: F1 and Nascar

To: MGLIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: F1 and Nascar
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 05:09:34 +1030
Kevin Smith wrote:

> Personally, I think the open wheel stuff is tougher racing, but the way
> it's presented on TV, it isn't compelling to watch.  It's also too
> international.  I find myself pulling for whoever is from North
> America.  Whereas in NASCAR, I can cheer for a guy from my home state.

"Too international"??

Is that why IRL started pushing CART off the map in the US when CART
starting playing all over the world and had few American drivers?  Do
Americans just like watching Americans race?

I prefer seeing drivers from all over the world competing against each
other - especially when they come to my country or even better if we
have an Antipodean amongst them (like Mark Webber in F1 now - or in days
past, like Sir Jack Brabham... a golden age for Aussie racing).

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII