Re: F1 and Nascar

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: F1 and Nascar
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 14:46:58 -0500
Eric wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>>Personally, I think the open wheel stuff is tougher racing, but the way
>>it's presented on TV, it isn't compelling to watch.  It's also too
>>international.  I find myself pulling for whoever is from North
>>America.  Whereas in NASCAR, I can cheer for a guy from my home state.
>>

> "Too international"??
>
> Is that why IRL started pushing CART off the map in the US when CART
> starting playing all over the world and had few American drivers?  Do
> Americans just like watching Americans race?
>
> I prefer seeing drivers from all over the world competing against each
> other - especially when they come to my country or even better if we
> have an Antipodean amongst them (like Mark Webber in F1 now - or in days
> past, like Sir Jack Brabham... a golden age for Aussie racing).

American's only want to watch Americans. When the Olympics come on, the
only events we get to see are the ones were Americans are competing, and
have a chance of doing well.

That's an over generalization, but 90% true.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155