RE: MGB V6 Upgrade

To: "'Chris Thompson'" <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB V6 Upgrade
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:29:52 -0700
Chris:

I have "been there and done that".  My advice is to make sure you ask
questions, do the least amount of damage to the car, and make sure every
custom part you use is well fabricated and works correctly.  Don't ever
waltz over something and say "it'll do" because you will regret it, and end
up either redoing it, scrapping the car or selling it to an unwitting owner
who will curse you the rest of your days.

Fixing a stock car is simple and cheap compared to doing a good engine
conversion.  Don't get into the project in an attempt to save money or make
the car easier to use.  It don't work that way.  Building a personal
artistic creation that will strike awe into all onlookers, is a good reason
to do a conversion, but often results in snickers rather than gasps of
admiration, so be warned.

The biggest problem with any big engine B is getting a higher gear ratio
rear end.  V6 or V8 it's all the same.  The 3.90 stock rear is too low of a
gear ratio, and you will want to change it.  Figure on spending up to $1000
as part of your budget to take care of this or do a lot of scrounging and
fabricating.  Then figure on something to keep the rear end tied down.  If
you try to use any power the MGB rear springs turn into pretzels.  You will
need to install some kind of trailing arm to locate the rear axle.  Again
there are a number of different ways to do this.  Pay $ or fabricate.

Speedo and Tach calibration are also something to think about.

As a last.  There is not much vertical clearance in the B engine
compartment.  So engine swaps have to be carefully thought out to ensure
that the induction bits don't end up sticking through the hood.  Scoops are
a solution, but tend to be tacky and reduce the clean look of the car.

When you are done, if you are not careful, you may find you need the
Mangstrom Gangley spanner just to change the spark plugs.

Kelvin.