Re: MGB V6 Upgrade

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB V6 Upgrade
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:14:04 EDT
In a message dated 07/05/03 11:46:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> So I turn to you guys and ask what the downside. From what I see on the
> web, the V6 is cheaper (I've seen people say that the engine can be had for
> $200 and the T5 transmission for $120), more Horsepower, more torque, no
> cooling hassles. I've always wanted a V8 but simply haven't had the cash,
> this conversion looks like it could be done dirt cheap.

Can you do it?

1     It fits easily
2     Use a late engine - early truck engines with carbs had weak bottom ends
3     get the ECM and wiring to run the injection (less clearance problems
with injection too)
4     it will work with the 3.9 diff (redline on the Chev is also 6000 rpm)
without changing the diff, but many come with 5
       speed anyway
5     make sure the rest of the car is up to snuff - suspension and brakes in
particular
6     use a front engine source, not a minivan

Should you do it?

To an MGA - never! Do it and the Abingdon fairies will make your third member
turn black and fall off if you do.
To a pre 69 MGB, preferably not.
To a 68-73 MGB, ditto, and same for MGC (not much advantage anyway).
To a RBB - why not, if you must.

Be prepared for a drop in value when you bastardise any of them.

Bill
(88 Fiero GT, turbo, 300 bhp, and the engine is never going near my MGAs!)