Re: Carb float bowl movement......

To: MGALUVR@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb float bowl movement......
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 12:55:08 -0500
At 11:43 AM 5/10/03 -0400, Bill Dillstrom <MGALUVR@aol.com> wrote:
>I just recently acquired a rebuilt set of SU's for my MGA roadster. I have
>noticed that there is a lot of movement of the float bowls. Aren't these
>supposed to be completely stationary once they are mounted? ....

No.  They should be pretty firm, not absolutely solid, but they should not
move around on their own.  They are mounted on a shoulder bolt (banjo bolt
with holes in it ro feed fuel into the body of the carburetor) with a pair
of rubber step grommets to seal the joint.  The rubber grommets tend to
deterioriate and need to be repaced periodically, as often as every couple
of years or so.

The steel washer under the bottom grommet should be slightly cupped, not
flat.  If this retaining washer is flat the grommets may be too loose,
allowing the float bowls to move about easily.  So remove the banjo bolt
(1500) or the bottom nut on the banjo stud (1600) and check teh laarge
steel washer to be sure it is cupped, and that the cup is facing upwards to
make the grommets tighter.  If you have a flat washer there, toss it out
and buy the correct part.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com