Re: Center console help

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Center console help
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:09:40 -0700
Well, like I said, I wasn't arguing about the looks, or in favor of swapping
out dashes in general. I was merely pointing out that in the period
1962-1967, the classic sports car dashboard consisted of a flat panel of
metal or wood, with multiple gauges and switches, possibly with some sort of
cowl around the main instruments. You can call it anachronistic if you like,
but the fact remains that that is what they ALL looked like -- not plastic,
not padded. You seem to be looking at it from the perspective of being more
familiar or comfortable with plastic, padded dashboards, but that is 20/20
hindsight -- in 1968 the pillow was a shocking innovation by all accounts --
it wasn't just "catching up" to contemporary trends, as you seem to think.
MG was no more conservative in this than the other British marques, or FIAT,
Mercedes-Benz, Datsun, or others.

It's fine that you like it, I'm not contesting your opinion. I'm contesting
your characterization of the original dash as being somehow old-fashioned,
when in fact it was completely in sync with contemporary practice. It is
only from the perspective of decades that it appears quaint. Saying the
pillow dash is more appropriate to the design of the MGB strikes me like
saying a small diameter, thick rimmed, black spoke steering wheel is more
appropriate to the style of the MGB -- it's fine if you like the look, but
the statement has no historical validity... unless you believe the body
styling of the MGB was years ahead of its time.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149