Re: Overdrive care

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive care
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:56:52 -0700
on 6/11/03 11:26 AM, John Graham at theklube@hotmail.com wrote:

> I've just recently gotten my '70 B out of the garage after a long idle time
> and am driving it again while my other car is in the shop.  This MGB has
> factory overdrive and it seems to work just fine.
>
> My questions  - Are there any special precautions that I should know about
> in using the overdrive that might make it last a little longer?

You could briefly lift off the throttle when shifting into OD, and blip it
when shifting out...

> Does the oil that you put into the transmission flow into the overdrive as
> well?  (I assume there is oil in there)  Or is there a separate check that I
> should be doing for the fluid level in the OD

It shares the tranny oil. It takes engine oil, not diff oil, and synthetics
are not recommended.

> If it should 'fail' (in a way that prevents it from shifting back and forth)
> is there a specific position that it defaults to?  My guess is that since it
> only works in 3rd and 4th gear, that it would 'fail' in the 'out' position.

One would hope so, but I wouldn't guarantee it...

> Thanks,  John Graham - Charlotte, NC

Enjoy... OD is a great thing on these cars, making cruising much more
comfortable.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149