Re: Overdrive care

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive care
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:09:53 -0400
Bullwinkle wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, do MG Overdrives have an automatic "kick
> > down" when the throttle is fully opened?

Max Heim replied:

> Nope, nothing that sophisticated <g>. Probably a good thing,
> too.

Actually, it was an option, at least on the early MGBs with D-type
overdrives.  The option consisted of a vacuum operated electrical switch,
which switched out OD when performing passing maneuvers on the highway
(accelerator pushed, throttle wide open), and re-engaged OD when the same
level of vacuum was present once speed and throttle shaft position returned
to what they were before passing.

I sold the one vacuum switch I had, on eBay, about a year ago.  They are
incredibly hard to find and the wiring harness even more so.  There is also
a small vacuum fitting that gets screwed somewhere into the intake manifold.
I probably sold it too cheap, come to think of it.

Kai