Re: Ignition circuit of '66 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition circuit of '66 B
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
James Nazarian SEZ -
> I've never had the guts to try this, but I've been told that a lit cigarette
> won't ignite gas.

My grandfather worked for Standard Oil (later Chevron) all his life.
One of the demonstrations he did for new recruits was to pour a pan
full of gasoline, light a cigar, take a few puffs off it and put it
out in the pan.  Since gasoline doesn't burn (only the vapor does)
it would extinguish the cigar.  The trick was to put it out quickly.
If you held the cigar in the fumes they might ignite.  Then he threw
a lit match over the top of the pan and WHOOSH!

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do