White Smoke

To: "mgs list" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: White Smoke
From: "Carter Tuggle" <goutvols2@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:24:56 -0500
Short history:  I have a 79 Midget.  I blew a rod last year, so I had to fix
that.  While the engine was out, the cylinders were bored and new pistons were
put in.  Got car back from the shop and have been putting about 200 miles a
month on it, except during the winter.  In March, I noticed a little white
smoke.  Since it stays parked most of the time I thought it was condensation.
It has progressively gotten worse.  So I thought I have a blown head Gasket.
Well now It is Bad.  I drove it 12 blocks, & the temp gauge was just about
right.  Shut it off, talked to a friend for a few mins. and then got back in
it and a huge blast of white smoke out the back, two blocks down the road my
temp gauge is rising faster than I care to ever see again.  I pull over let it
cool down and added 1/2 a gallon of water.  This is what I think is wrong.  I
think the exhaust port in the head is cracked.  When I shut the car off, the
crack expanded and the water ran through it.  Then I restarted it and the huge
cloud of smoke was the result of the crack in the head.   What do you think.